Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Injured Soldier Denied Benefits

clipped from www.wtnh.com
Ryan Riddle is a Connecticut veteran who has been fighting through that red tape ever since he was wounded in Iraq.
Riddle received a commendation for his service at the checkpoint; the soldier who shot him got a reprimand. Riddle was discharged and moved home to Southington. He filed for service related benefits for the gun shot wound, and doctors at the Newington Veterans hospital told him there is no proof of his injury.
Riddle said he was told doctors were not sure if he was shot on the streets of Hartford or in Iraq. Despite X-rays that clearly showed a bullet still lodged in Riddle's thigh the VA denied his claim saying "service records do not document a gunshot wound to the left thigh during service."

Somehow, Riddle's service records had been lost.

"I was taken a back, I didn't know what to say," said Riddle. "You know I thought when I served my country and fought a war that I'd at least be taken care of after it was done but it's just the system."

It's not just soldiers dying in Iraq that is messed up. We can't even seem to help those that have been injured and need our help when they get home. This is just one of many stories.

2 comments:

frogla said...

Are you steve someone who has posted on gracehead? I'm the wife of Trent & my friend Buffy, whose husband is also a cult member, & I are so frustrated with these guys. I've also been banned from the site.

frogla said...

Can you email me @ info@urbantejas.com? Thanks!