Monday, May 7, 2007

U.S. casualties will rise in next 90 days

clipped from www.realcities.com
The U.S. military announced the deaths of 11 U.S. soldiers killed in combat along with an embedded journalist Sunday, and Iraqi officials said 163 civilians were killed or injured across the country.

But still more carnage is likely over the next three months as additional U.S. forces arrive in Baghdad under President Bush's troop "surge" because "we're taking the fight to the enemy," a top U.S. military commander warned.

Six of the American soldiers and a journalist working for a Russian publication were killed in Diyala Sunday when a roadside bomb struck the vehicle in which they were traveling, the U.S. military said in a statement.
"There are going to be increased (U.S.) casualties during this surge because we're taking the fight to the enemy," said Maj. Gen. Rick Lynch
"We're going to do everything we can do to preclude that from happening."

But he added: "This is indeed combat operations. This is indeed war. And it's against a lethal enemy."

Again... quoting someone smarter than me that I can't remember... how many dead bodies does it take to support the ego of this President?

2 comments:

mark said...

Steve - I attended a local minor league baseball game on Saturday night here in Grand Rapids. Before the game, a group of Marines was honored upon their return from Iraq. 165 went over, 160 returned. All I could think as I watched these young men standing at attention in their street clothes during the national anthem was, "Five is too damn many." I've been quite uneasy about the war for a few years (after initially being all for it), but I never have felt so opposed to the war as I did at that moment, fighting back the tears while the local elementary school choir belted out the national anthem. Last Saturday night, the war became a spiritual issue for me. I am now praying for its end (I should have been praying this way for a long time) - we have had way too many people die on both sides of this war. The powers that be in our government have shown their unwillingness to change their course of action. I honestly think it will take a miracle to end the bloodbath before bush leaves office.

Thanks for this little blog. The reality of the war needs to be uncomfortable for all of us.

Steve said...

It is increasingly uncomfortable for me. And I think we don't feel the carnage enough but are sidetracked by a multitude of issues...

Spread the word.